I miss my childhood

Sometimes when I am alone, I really miss my childhood…. the innocent smiles, the careless whispers, the simple joys, the unintentional mischief and the genuine frndships..
I miss running back from school and blabbering meaningless stories to mom even before putting off my shoes, I miss the “Duck tales”, the “Tom and jerry”s and the “The jungle book”. I miss the idle winter afternoons in the porch, soaking the sun and peeling oranges. I miss dad tying my shoelaces in the mornings and playing flying dish in the evenings. I miss storming out after a hail storm to collect pellets of ice. I miss savouring the pickles and frozen pepsi sticks at the school gate during lunch time…
Those times were simple, no gadgets, no rat race…and the pleasures were all ordinary…yet they were so beautiful…so real.
At 24 now, the world looks a lot different. I return to an empty home, and though call rates are cheap, there aren’t stories to narrate to mom. The casual banters are missing as we greet our neighbours on FB. Where’s the time for TV, after work, travel, cooking, cleaning and paying bills. I don’t even know when seasons change, of course they do, but only outside the glass windows of my office bay. Play stations are cool, but not as fun as gullli cricket. Food is chosen on calorie content, cz I have to stay healthy and in shape. Friendships are more on purpose than for emotions. There are malls and brands all around and I have plenty of money to get whatever I want, but some how I miss waiting for festivals to get new clothes and to show them off to friends.
I know I can neither be 6 again, nor the world can revert back to what it used to be a couple of decades ago. But I wonder if its really impossible to relive the innocence of childhood again. What if oneday I say hello to the uncle whom I meet everyday on the train back to home. What if someday I share my dabeli with the kids begging for alms at the street corner. Would it do any harm if one lazy Sunday I call up my school frnds and share some memories…Just like that. What if I courier home a surprise gift and a handmade card. Would it be crazy if once in a while I soak in the rain and jump in puddles with my neighbourhood kids.





Comments

Unknown said…
fantastic .. rohi... <3 <3...
Sri said…
very touching....u reminded me my childhood...:)