My Barfi story



Yesterday I watched Barfi for the first time. (I am sure i am going to, again and again). A lot of hype has been building up around it for some time now. It doesn’t come as a surprise given its A lister starcast and one genius of a director. But once the movie hit the theatres, the Barfi fever just went viral. I am not so much of a movie buff, but all those overwhelming reviews from friends and strangers, on net and in papers compelled me to give it a try. And trust me, I am glad I did.

This movie is made so delicately and is filled with so many vow moments that everybody who has loved it has something to come back for. I personally loved the plot, the intense acting, the unique mode of direction & the locations. I was captivated to find such a warm story woven through the folds of my own kolkata. This is the city I have grown up in and it makes me nostalgic to see such a lyrical potrayal.
But Barfi ended up being much more than just a ‘brilliant movie’. In bits and pieces , I saw a reflection of my own life in it...the life that goes beyond three hours..the life I breathe in.

“Love can be blind, mute, deaf, crippled or retarded...but it still finds a way to stand by, hold your hand & touch your soul.” If thats what Anurag Basu set out to show through his masterpiece, then i too have a Barfi story to share.

This story is about two sweethearts who met in an art college, fell in love , married and stayed happily ever after. But there’s only one glitch in this perfect story...the girl was sick when they first met, and she progressively fell more sick with time. And then came a day when her kidneys stopped functioning and she was put permanently on dialysis. But their love didn't die, if anything it only grew stronger to a point when one became the shadow of the other.Theirs is a story that doesn’t have either a damsel or a rich handsome guy...its about two ordinary people from humble backgrounds, living and loving each other through sickness and in health,...through need and in wealth...till death does them apart.

If you are wondering whose story it is....well I am lucky to be born to them!!

To tell you the truth, a three hour movie would never tell you how difficult it is to actually live with someone who is terminally ill. You are always on a red alert mode, lest some emergency occurs. You are awake for nights on end, nursing her, scared at every upset and heartbroken at every sight of her pain stricken face. You cry out of helplessness, when inspite of all you efforts she only gets worse but then you wash your face before entering her room and crack a silly joke to make her laugh. No matter how deep the love, beyond a point something just snaps off. You start getting irritated and wonder whether you were born just to be someone’s life support.

But I guess just like Barfi, my dad is an aberration. His love for my mom is as lucid as Barfi’s was for Jhilmil. There’s never a sign of disgust or irritation on his face. Everything he does, every moment he lives is in some way linked to his wife. Feeding her, dressing her, nursing her, he does everything, everyday and always with a smile. May be because he doesn’t consider it an unfortunate responcibility. For him it is a fortunate opportunity to serve the one he loves most.
Many liked Barfi because it was an unusual love story, imperfect yet beautiful, fragile yet concrete. But believe me, most perfect love stories are born in unfortunate, broken circumstances. There are people who love truly. Its not just a story....its a truth....one that surrounds me..


Thanks Anurag, you just reminded me to appreciate the true essence of love once more.

Comments

Unknown said…
I am sure ur parents are proud of u as I am as to having a friend like urs. Long live ur maa n u my friend
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
I am sure ur parents are proud of u, as I am to have a friend in u :)