An ode to the doctor




I can't believe I am back on my blog to write about a doctor. No I wasnt born with a
prejudice against them, but in the last 6 years I have encountered enough demons in white, to hold a pretty picture of them in my heart. I have met them all..the 'foreign-educated-patient-killers',the 'ruthless-ATM-machines',the 'I-am-demi-God', the 'real-life-saviour', in short the good, bad and ugly. But this is an ode to a man who belongs to a different class all together.

Its amazing how you sometimes meet random people who change the course of your entire life. Sometimes we spend an entire lifetime with someone without being understood, sometimes, however, it takes only a few minutes for someone to read your heart inside out.

I went to him 5 months ago with a few medical issues and a bag full of apprehensions, but the 55+ old man with salt n pepper hair and super glowing skin won me over with his warmth.He diagnosed my problems, those that were obvious from the reports and even those that most people have no clue about. I still remember he told me " y r u so gloomy my child, do u realize how beautiful u look when u smile?'.'U have got just one life, live it for yourself, b bright'. He asked many out of context questions which surprisingly I found more relevant than any of those that i am used to being asked by doctors. I gave him honest answers. When I was ready to leave, he rose from his chair and pinched my cheecks. :)

Three months later I went again and this time more depressed than the first instance, partly due to the side effects of the medicines and partly because of the circumstances.
This time we spoke about movies, he asked me why didn't i go out and enjoy. Many people tell me the same, but for some reason I get pissed off because I feel they are judging me, Dr. Zoha though actually got me thinking. he asked to come back in march but this time I had to have a smile.

Today I went for my third appointment. I was careful to appear cheerful. Ridiculous as it might sound, I remembered the promise I had made to him last time and didnt want to faulter on that. Fact is in the past few months I have seen more lows than ups but somehow I pushed myself into being happy, moment by moment, day upon day. We chatted for long and he complemented me on my new found glow.WE chatted silly, like I always do with him.And then he asked 'So whats the reason for ur glow, Got a boyfriend?'. I smiled and replied ' Someone told me I have only one life.'

Dr. zoha would never read this, he is a busy man and not connected to me on social networking sites. But I want to tell him, he has treated me well, treated me inside out. Wish there were more people like him, who sprinkle happiness around. Wish there were more doctors like him, who treated humans, not a budle of flesh and blood.

Thank you doctor, you know you are my favourite and some day I will take you and your entire family out on a movie date.

Comments

Just Me 4 You said…
Rain! Sorry you know I'm kinda ¨slow-witted¨ sometimes. :P

Just wanna say... very very sweet of you... God bless you and your doctor...
AD said…
A lovely heart warming account. I always thought depression clouds only me.