People


February has just kicked in. Thankfully, January has taken along all traces of snow, leaving tiny green twigs to peek out from beneath the wrinkled brown branches. Its still cold, but definitely not as dark as before. Inch by inch, sunlight is streaming in my world too.
Those who have read my previous post would know, I had almost come to believe, I am the only living person here. I mean there are spotless houses and clean streets, and hordes of cars, but I couldn’t sight those inhabiting them. The ghostly silence had grown so intimidating that I wondered if and when I would witness bedlam again.
Then office started (thankfully!) and I was for the first time, since coming to the US, breathing and living amongst Real people, people with varied features, nationalities, ethnicities and languages. From a blank white sheet, I transitioned into a ‘rainbow zone’ overnight.
As kids we grow up with certain stereotypes in our minds. Fuelled sometimes by hearsay, sometimes by media, we typecast cultures, categorize races. And the older we grow, the stronger they become. Much to my own embarrassment, I had always thought of the American society as a sum of dysfunctional families where people don’t believe in marriages, kids are thrown out of homes the day they turn 18 and no one cares about the old and ailing.
I would have perhaps taken this notion to grave, had I not experienced the reality first hand. My first encounter was with a real estate agent, a lady in her early fifties, who was helping me find an apartment. Unfortunately the deal didn’t work out, nevertheless I emerged wiser. The way she acted and the things she spoke, she was no less protective than my own aunt in India. It mattered to her that I was a girl and from a faraway country. The little details she considered while searching for a place, had even escaped my own worried mind.
The more I mingle with people, the more I realize how wrong I had been. Strange as it may sound, here people marry much younger, even before they finish college. Some who don’t do, do stay with their parents or grandparents if they are in the same city. People here love kids, and indeed it is a kid friendly nation. Any grocery store I visit, I find men & women playfully carrying adorable kids in perambulators or over trolleys, not a sign of irritation marring their faces. Where are the wild parties. As soon as the clock hits 5, people rush to be home with spouses, kids and pets. Talking of pets, everyone seems to have one or more here and from the way they stroll around with the little animals even in the dead of winter, speaks volume about their care & concern.
I had a similarly distorted notion about Pakistanis. What with cross border violence and never-ending regressive politics, there were the ‘perennial’ enemies. I grew up with scary images of them in my mind till I accidentally stumbled upon some of their soaps aired by an Indian channel. Its just an LOC that separates us, rest, our sensibilities, our emotions and even our problems are alike. I am infact so touched by few of these stories and their potrayals that if I ever have to, I would anyday rate theirs over ours.
Living alone in a foreign land, I have begun to look beyond the labels. I get so few opportunities, that I make it a point to forge new friendships whenever I can. So whether its the Hindi speaking Jamaican lady at the cafeteria, the black lady who drives the bus I take to office every morning, the Salvadorian kid who speaks only Spanish, which I then translate using a English-Spanish translator or a Bangaleshi neighbour, I greet them everyday. Sometimes they share stories too which i love to hear. Each day I break more walls. Each day I straighten out few tangled knots. Each day I learn afresh
“A human being is a human being, colour, race, region not withstanding”

  




Comments

AD said…
This is one of the most beautiful posts that I have ever read. I have felt exactly the same way as you when I first came to Canada and I have grown to love it.
Unknown said…
Totally loved your article...Yes many ppl have preconceived notions ..regards US since I've lot of friends there & visited not really ..As for Pak never disliked them at all...& Yes ZGH was my first connect with Pak...& their TV content far more real & superior to ours ...waiting for your next :)
Unknown said…
Loved it, absolutely unique......Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes, indeed in a very positive notion.