ILNYC part I


It must have been a good decade ago that this Karan johar movie got released. Apart from the typical NRI culture, tear jerker dialogues and a ‘love triangle’ between a dying hero, a damsel in distress and an impossibly  understanding  friend, the movie also happened to feature ‘The city of New York’. Each frame, chosen with care and diligence, has since grown iconic, and the City that was initially chosen to play the unsuspecting backdrop, quietly emerged to become the fourth protagonist.

Like many around, I fell in love with it at the very first sight. It was exceedingly beautiful but the fact that it was halfway across the world from my home rendered it a charm that only dreams can have. Who could have imagined then that one day I would indeed set foot on the city of dreams.


Luckily, I have a colleague from New York who visits  there every weekend. So I made a hasty plan, stuffed my backpack and hitch-hiked with her after work on a rainy Friday, a couple of weeks ago. We drove through three states, for five hours before finally reaching New Jersey where my friends having flown down from other places were already waiting for me.

New York is actually a collection of five islands, and the one that I or most of us are familiar with is the vertical Manhattan. It is home to the tallest skyscrapers, the most gorgeous of parks, the biggest brands on the 5th Avenue, the Times Square and the Wall Street. My journey however started with the New York Penn station which is a central station connecting the Subway/Metro, the Amtrak and the New Jersey transit trains. The Penn station caught me by surprise. With its old structure, Asian smells and shoving crowds, for a while I felt transported back to Kolkata, to my nearby DumDum metro. the station is built over multiple levels and has signs all over. It made no sense to me and if left alone, I am sure I would have cried my way out or through it. For a while I wondered, if the tag of ‘city of dreams’ is just another carefully constructed image. But the moment I made it to an exit, I landed in another world.


I do not recall the name of that street, as I don’t for the rest of the landmarks I visited over the next day and half, but it had few very tall buildings. There was this one particular building in steel grey, which was so tall that I had to strain my neck 60 degrees back to look at the sky and as I did I saw the building shake left and right. I was scared out of my wits and it took me few seconds to realize that the cottony clouds had pulled out a trick on my poor eyes. My next stop was the central park, which was neither green nor dressed up in the fall colours, yet every bit as gorgeous. And because the sun was out after a long winter and the spring was crawling in, people were out in hordes…people with pets, with kids, in couples, in groups, alone, white people, black people and everyone in between. Funnily I recognized a couple of frames exactly as I had seen them in the movie and I felt goosebumps at realizing I was actually there.



From there we walked across the city, cutting across streets and avenues, halting only to take pictures which would soon become memories. On our way we traversed many of the famous attractions before ending up in Brooklyn, hopping over the Brooklyn bridge.  We made our way through the wall street, around the Empire state building , to the Trinity church and around the new World trade center.



The East river that flows under the Brooklyn bridge and four more bridges separates Manhattan from Brooklyn. There is a gorgeous promenade in Brooklyn on the river front from where you can see the ‘Statue of Liberty’ as a tiny spot on the extreme left, the Brooklyn bridge on the right and the Manhattan skyline in front. One can sit there for hours, watching the golden sky turn progressively purple and then a stark black,  a stream of sparkling lights  replacing blue bars of manmade wonders. Its often breezy there, drifting leaves and fluttering skirts and ferries sailing amidst rolling waves. Time stops, or you feel so, like a silent spectator in a 3D movie, frame after frame unfolding before you, each one prettier than the before.


   

I would have perhaps spent the rest of the day there had my friends not dragged me to the Times Square, which they said is a must see after dark. It is a neighborhood in Manhattan adorned with dazzling billboards and advertisements, which is located at the crossroads of Broadway and Seventh Avenue.  This is where the annual ritual of ball drop happens every new year’s eve when a time ball located on the roof of One Times Square, descends 141 feet in 60 seconds. At first sight, the ambience feels forced and mechanical but the place has an infectious vibe and the more time you spend there, the more it envelopes you. On any given night, Times Square is choc a bloc with tourists and locals alike, clicking pictures with clowns and men dressed as cartoon characters, not to forget genial cops and horse carriages…


You must have gauged from the length of my post, the length of my day. Physically I was tired down to the bones, but my spirit was still raring to go. I still had half a day left and I have to come back again to tell what’s more is in store. Till then Hasta la vista.

Comments