ILNYC - Part II


As promised, I am back.
In one day, I walked as much as my feet would bear & absorbed as much as my eyes would behold. I had half a day more and a million options to choose from. We had only covered few of the attractions and many more were still waiting to be explored. We could have gone to the ‘Statue of Liberty’ or climbed the ‘Empire State’ or better still, we could have spent the whole day posing and clicking at Madam Tussauds. But I had seen and admired the Glitzy New York as the world knows it, this time I wanted to get a glimpse of the real one, the ‘Newyork of New Yorkers’.
We began roaming, aimlessly, without a checklist in hand. We crossed one avenue after the next, passing by designer stores interspersed with an equal number of non descript local shops. People walked around in relaxed steps, devoid of the urgency I had sensed the previous night. It was sunny and it was windy, sometimes either and sometimes both. It is funny how at one moment you will cling to your jacket and at the very next, be compelled to take it off. But I guess thats how New York is.. unpredictable!
Spring had just taken baby steps, but the chairs were all out on the streets..more people sitting outside than inside cafes and bars, claiming their share of the divided sunshine. Small multicoloured flowers were in full bloom too.. New York has a very robust public transportation. There’s subway and buses and I suppose trams too. And not one kind of bus but as many kinds as there possibly can be, double deckers, open roofed double deckers, one sided seating buses, hop in hop off tour buses so on and so forth.
We came to this place called the Bryant park, which is a small park tucked right inside the heart of the city, yet strangely hidden by the towering high-rises surrounding it. Right outside the New York library, it is actually a reading park but one can just about sit idle and still feel rejuvenated. I am sure New York hides many more such little treasures, scattered along its geography, waiting to be discovered on a treasure hunt. Like these madly popular food trucks, called halal meat trucks, where one can get all kinds of Asian and Mediterranean junk at throw away prices. Most of these are operated by South Asians. Luckily for me, the guy behind the counter at the truck I ordered my fish kati rolls from, was bangladeshi, and he made sure he made his rolls extra spicy when he heard me speaking in his mother tongue.
WE resumed walking, and made our way from the 7th to the 1st avenue. By then clouds had begun accumulating and with the constant wind blowing, the temperatures began to dip. The view of the water front that awaited us on the 1st avenue has perhaps not made it to any of the ‘Attractions of New York’ list. I didn’t find them on any of the brochures, and may be that’s all the more why it was special, because I had discovered it. A little ahead was a ferry terminal and we bought tickets to wall street. Little did I know 6 dollars would buy me one of the most amazing experiences of my life.
As the sun peeped in and out of the thick blanket of clouds, it turned the water silvery to golden and back. That is all i remember of the ride, for I was so lost in the moment, I couldn’t bring back a souvenir, even the memories are blurred. Time had stood still but the clock was ticking away fast. All good things must come to an end and what better place to bid adieu than the viewing point of ‘Statue of Liberty’.
I feel New York is so loved, because it has something for everyone. The dazzling Neon lights to amaze the kids, the beautiful parks for the lovers, hot brands for the shopaholics and a rocking  nightlife for the upwardly mobile. And then in contrasting measures, it also gives you serenity, to mourn your melancholy or celebrate your company. You can get lost, or you can be found, you can drift away or arrive at your destination. New York doesn’t judge you for your colour or race, not even for the depth of your pocket. It lets you be, it just doesn’t leave you alone.
There’s so much more I want to see and feel, I hope to go back again someday. But for now this is as close as I could get to fulfilling a dream, one wish checked on a non existing bucket list.
I truly loved New York, I always will!




Comments

AD said…
So much heart in your writing.
Anish said…
NYC experience very well depicted. Hope you get back again someday soon.